Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Inflatable Fishing Kayak Reviews
If you have never taken a close look at a fishing kayak, you really don’t know what you’re missing. Recent years of innovation have caused these boats to morph into remarkably capable watercraft for fishing, out performing larger boats in many respects.
Fishing kayaks are ideal for nearly any sport fishing you can imagine. And if you love the features of a fishing kayak but don’t have any means of storage or transport, then you would benefit tremendously by treating yourself to the best inflatable fishing kayak for your next fishing outing.
If you fish whitewater rivers, inflatable kayaks are insanely buoyant. If you fish the surf, these boats are so easy to transport to the shore. Even tournament bass fishing is child’s play, not to mention high-speed, with the addition of a kayak trolling motor.
Inflatable fishing kayaks rock, hands-down! Which one will provide the level of performance and offer the features that you want is going to be determined by your level of fishing skill and what degree of versatility you feel the need for.
Top Inflatable Fishing Kayak Features To Consider
- Passenger Capacity – Even if you are primarily thinking about a single passenger vessel, some inflatable kayaks for fishing offer the option to add seating for a tandem seating arrangement. Removable seating is a nice feature if you have a friend or family member that likes to occasionally join you. A fishing buddy is always a welcome addition so it’s helpful if your inflatable kayak can accommodate.
- Weight Capacity – Your heaviest fishing gear is likely to be a loaded marine cooler full of ice and drinks, but adding a second passenger is an obvious addition to the overall weight capacity. Taking a little inventory before you make a purchase is important if you tend to lean a little heavy on the fishing gear. Storage space is another important consideration with inflatable fishing kayaks. Floor space between the pontoon runs the length of the boat, but it can get feeling cramped and awkward to paddle if you don’t distribute your load throughout the inflatable kayak.
- Stability – Stability is huge for our style of fishing. The ability to stand and cast with accuracy provides a distinct advantage. Not only can you read the water better when standing, but you can make longer and more accurate casts as well. Along with keeping your gear out form under foot, the primary factor that effects the stability of an inflatable fishing kayak is the width of the boat. In general, more width equals more stability.
- Overall Weight – At this point we are thinking about the ease of transportation. Obviously a deflated fishing kayak is easy to slide into the trunk of your car and travel to your location, but what if you want to hike-in to a more remote locale? This is where the overall weight of any inflatable kayak is going to become vital. An inflatable kayak is usually going to be around 40 pounds which might not sound like much, but after a few miles of trail your opinion might begin to change.
- Self Bailing – Pitching through some light whitewater isn’t unheard of in order to reach the hottest fishing holes. And getting through the surf in order to reach the schools beyond the beach can introduce a significant amount of water into your kayak as well. If you fish in wet conditions then a self bailing inflatable kayak might have some significant appeal. Less time getting water out of the boat means more time focusing on getting a trophy tugging on the end of your line.
- Fishing Features – FIshing features are really helpful for holding extra rods and mounting accessories like fish finders, but the extend of just how adaptable and versatile inflatable fishing kayaks have become might be a little less obvious. Mounting surfaces like gear rails and D-rings will allow you to mount nearly anything you are capable of dreaming up: extra rod holders, trolling motors, even Bimini tops! If the innovation of the past decade indicates anything, the options available are sure to grow for the foreseeable future.
Top Inflatable Fishing Kayak Comparison Chart
Best Inflatable Fishing Kayak
If you’re looking for a superb combination of lightness and durability look no further than this effort from Intex. The Intex Excursion Professional Inflatable Fishing Kayak is designed to give you the strength and stability of a hard bodied kayak when inflated while shrinking down to a manageable size and weight when not in use.
Inflation is quick and easy thanks to the spring loaded high pressure valves which not only allow for faster inflation but ensure greater strength and rigidity when inflated. Rigidity and strength are further reinforced by the inflatable I-beam floor. The tough high molecular PVC exterior covers a core of polyester for greater portability and buoyancy. The exterior is also unaffected by sea water, oil or gas as well as abrasion and direct sunlight.
With a size of 12’7″ X 3’1″ X 1’6″ when fully inflated it’s a spacious kayak with access for two, despite its manageable weight of just over 39 lbs.
This kayak comfortably seats two and has optional seat bolsters making it a great choice for those who enjoy fishing with young kids. Seats are also fully adjustable and removable, as are the accompanying back and foot rests. There’s a mounting bracket on board as well for all your fishing accessories, not to mention recessed fishing rod holders for better stability.
For ease of movement in the water, there’s also an interchangeable skeg for better access in deep and shallow waters.
The Intex Excursion Pro comes with a good range of accessories including:
- A high-output pump for quick inflation
- 2 collapsible paddles
- Pressure gauge
- Carry bag for easy portability
All in all, it makes for an extremely appealing package. We don’t hesitate to recommend this boat if you’re in the market for a reliable inflatable fishing kayak.
Here is a great video on the Intex Excursion Professional Inflatable Kayak:
Another 2-person fishing kayak that offers superior strength and stability, the Coleman Colorado Kayak from Sevylor is as rugged in performance as appearance. It is extremely well constructed with multiple air chambers, meaning that this kayak won’t let you down in the event of a puncture. What’s more, this kayak has an intelligent airtight system which means the chances of an air leak are minimal. Inflation is easy, too thanks to the double threaded Boston valve.
The main body of this kayak is made from NMMA certified 18-gauge PVC making it extremely rugged and suitable for extensive lake use. The bottom is made from 1000D tarpaulin with a 840D nylon cover so you can navigate those rocky shallow waters with ease without needing to worry about getting a puncture.
Despite weighing in at just 40 lbs, it has an impressive weight capacity of up to 470 lbs per person. So, virtually nobody will need to fish alone on this kayak (unless, of course, they choose to).
Despite its robust construction and serious design, this kayak is designed to make fishing easy and pleasant. Conveniently placed paddle holders keep them safe and secure when not in use. There are also Berkley quick set rod holders to provide easier hands-free fishing while the adjustable seats make for comfortable paddling for you and your passenger.
There are also both mesh pockets and d-rings to make it quick and easy to stow and retrieve your equipment, drinks and snacks. Don’t feel like paddling? No problem. This kayak also has the fittings to attach a Sevylor trolling motor so you can get into those deeper waters without exhausting yourself.
All told, this is one of the most ruggedly constructed kayaks on the market yet has a wealth of features for a relaxing fishing trip.
Kayak fishing is a tradition that goes back centuries. Fortunately, as this kayak demonstrates, the materials for constructing kayaks have come a long way since those old rafts of animal skins stretched over a wooden frame.
This Pro-Angler Fishing Inflatable Kayak is designed with ease of transport and storage in mind, so you won’t have to worry about strapping a stiff and unwieldy hardbodied kayak to your car’s roof. Inflating to a tube diameter of 13’ with a capacity for 3 people, this kayak deflates down to a diminutive 45 x 24 x 13″ (shipping size). This makes it ideal for storage in the trunk of your car, your garage, attic space or anywhere else you want to stow it conveniently when not in use.
Strong and lightweight, the body is made from heavy duty PVC and its narrow profile and high-buoyancy tubes make it easy to move and maneuver when in the water. This means you won’t have to worry about getting out to deeper waters where the fish are more plentiful and more likely to take your bait.
The interior is also highly customizable, leaving you with plenty of opportunity to order your space in the way that works best for you. It has two adjustable aluminum benches in lieu of traditional seating which allow you to make the interior your own with facilities to mount GPS devices, depth finders or any other assistive tech you like.
There’s even an optional vertical plate for the stern, which allows for an electric trolling motor to be added.
All in all this is an excellent all-rounder and a great option for those who want easy access to waters where the fishing is at its best.
Here is a video showing a great fishing set up for the Saturn FK396:
Another excellent all-rounder at a respectable price point, the Straightedge Angler Kayak from Advanced Elements combines exceptional durability with an impressive 300lb weight capacity which should be more than adequate for solo angling trips.
Despite its inviting design and easy to use features, it offers exceptional performance in all kinds of waters. With abrasion pads for peak durability and a hide of thick multi-layer material it is designed to give great performance in calm waters as well as class 1-3 rapids.
Unlike most inflatables on the market, this entry has a patented aluminum rib-frame to allow for better tracking and maneuverability on the water so you can get great access to those hard to reach spots where the fish are at their most plentiful.
While this kayak offers great protection, it’s also designed with your comfort in mind. The adjustable seat comes with inflatable lumbar support to protect your back even on long fishing trips while the two attached rod holders make it easy for you to get quick access to your geat which can be stored via sturdy bungee lacing or D rings. There’s also a removable mounting rail for those who want to use fishing tech like GPS and depth finders on unfamiliar waters but who also often traverse waters where these aren’t necessary.
This is an excellent kayak for those new to the sport of kayak fishing. It’s fully assembled. All that needs to be done is to inflate the kayak to its full size of 9’8”-2’11”, add the seat and away you go. It can be set up in minutes and the spring valves make for faster and easier inflation. For those who don’t want to compromise sturdiness and strength for ease of use, this is a very attractive choice.
Another great all-round kayak at an eminently affordable price point, Sea Eagle’s SE370 inflatable fishing kayak is a great choice for solo trips or trips with up to 2 passengers on all kinds of waterways. This kayak’s ease of assembly, fast inflation and durability make it a great choice for first-timers or those fishing on a budget.
It’s also designed with ease of portability in mind, so you can fit it in with even the busiest lifestyle. It weighs in at just 32lbs yet has the capacity to carry up to 3 people with a combined weight of 650 lbs.
When inflated, this kayak reaches a sturdy 12’6”x 2’10” and can be fully inflated in just 8 minutes making it perfect for getting a round of fishing in before a busy day at work or before the sun goes down.
The robust exterior is made from strong 38 mil PolyKrylar (K80 PVC) and the seams are high frequency welded to greatly reduce the risk of air leakage. In the extremely unlikely event of a puncture, however, this kayak is sold with its own repair kit for quick and easy spot repairs that will keep you afloat in the long term. The sturdy construction makes it suitable for class 1-3 rapids as well as calm waters.
There’s also a fully inflatable kayak seat for superior comfort and support on those long and leisurely fishing trips, as well as a multi-purpose storage box containing two rod holders for your comfort and convenience.
Also included are an AB30 paddle, A1 foot pump, 2 interchangeable skegs and a carry bag for easy portability.
Kayak fishing is a noble sport and a relaxing pastime. It can be enjoyed alone, with friends or with family. But as with any form of fishing it’s essential to carry the right kit. Any of the above is a great choice for staying comfortable, mobile and well protected on the water… whether you catch anything or not.